Sunday, June 28, 2009

It takes all types - Part 2

Sandy Ridge Reservation is a great place to bird. One of the things the place is known for is the nesting Bald Eagles. Ever since the park first opened about a dozen years ago, there have been eagles.


I was working my way around the marsh when I spotted a photographer with a tripod looking at something in the middle of the marsh. I quick scan had an Osprey on a dead tree. I continued to bird my way along the path until I got to the photographer. He was one of those very eager types who couldn’t wait to tell everyone passing by what he’s found.


“Check out the eagle” was the first thing he said to me. I took another look with my binoculars just to be sure and I confirmed that it was in fact an Osprey. I pointed that out to the photographer. He then proceeded to argue with me. He told me he’s been a wildlife photographer for 30 years and he knows a Bald Eagle when he sees one.


The "Eagle"

The "Eagle" - using a zoom tool


He then asked me “What kind of birder are you?” As I walked away I thought to myself “the kind that knows the difference between a Bald Eagle and an Osprey.”


About 150 yards further down the path I passed another birder who asked if the photographer was looking at the Osprey?


“He sure is. Go chat with him about it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment