Friday, June 12, 2009

Prairie Spring

Pete Dunne has done it again. I’ve read everything he has written and I’ve always been impressed. His latest volume, chronicling a 4 month trip across the great grasslands with his wife, really nails the sense of place.


The grasslands of the west are amazing. The wide open spaces and the diversity of wildlife not seen elsewhere is simply spectacular. Most birders think in terms of woodlands, marshes, and beaches. Not enough think of grasslands. I think this book will change that. Pete’s vivid descriptions are as good as photographs, maybe better. You can almost picture yourself riding along in the camper with the Dunne’s, maybe sitting in the back with the dogs.


Pete tells good birding stories but he also tells good stories. The book is as much about prairies as it is the birds as it is about the journey. One minute we’re learning about grass ecology. Then we are studying Longspurs. Then bison. And the belly busting menu at a micro-town bird festival.


If you should decide to explore the prairies, this book will also function as a bit of a travel guide and trip planner. I know it has me thinking about travel. I’m jealous that I can’t take four months to go birding.


The best part? There is more to come. Prairie Spring is supposed to be a series of four books linking places and seasons. I’ll be eagerly waiting for the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment